In many regions in Europe, climate change impacts on water resources are threatening the sustainability of agricultural systems and recent events have demonstrated that drought episodes typically for Southern European countries are expanding to Eastern and Western Europe. Policies and legislation are needed to mitigate the related risks and to adapt to climate change impacts. This work presents a simplified water accounting framework that allows a standardized climate change assessment procedures across multiple river basins and synthesize information on local impacts to inform European policy making strategies. The full paper is available open access HERE, and the water accounting framework is also included in the IMPREX POLICY BRIEF available HERE.
Author Archives: firstname.lastname@example.org
The NRM group is participating in the last General Assembly of the IMPREX Project, organized by SMHI in Norrkoping (Sweden). The focus of the meeting is IMPREX legacy, to which we provided a twofold contributions: FRIDA, a fully-automated and generalizable framework for the design of basin-customized drought indexes, and the Information Selection and Assessment framework for assessing the operational value of forecast information for hydropower operations. In addition, Arctik has launched the IMPREX GAME, a game is about the use of forecasts to prevent floodings. Be ready to protect your city and its inhabitants from floods!
- Do we understand performance dependencies, trade-offs, and robustness in dam design and operation?, Federica Bertoni, Andrea Castelletti, Matteo Giuliani, and Patrick M. Reed (ORAL)
- Informing efficient reservoir filling strategies by seasonal drought forecasts, Marta Zaniolo, Matteo Giuliani, Andrea Castelletti, and Paolo Burlando (ORAL)
- Economically efficient and socially inclusive river basin development: does a balance exist?, Andrea Castelletti, Marta Zaniolo, Matteo Giuliani, Fritz Kleinschroth, Scott Sinclair, and Paolo Burlando (ORAL)
- Evaluating the robustness of the water-energy-food nexus using integrated climate and socio-economic scenarios, Matteo Giuliani, Jonathan Lamontagne, and Andrea Castelletti (ORAL)
- CASCADE: a toolbox for network-scale sediment connectivity assessment, Marco Tangi, Rafael Schmitt, Simone Bizzi, and Andrea Castelletti (PICO)
- Robust design of off-grid water-energy systems under climate and socio-economic changes, Giorgio Falcini, Elena Muratore, Federico Giudici, Andrea Castelletti, Davide Airoldi, Elisabetta Garofalo, Matteo Giuliani, and Holger Maier (POSTER)
- Data-driven behavioural modelling of smart meter data to identify end-use determinants of residential water use, Andrea Cominola, Khoi Nguyen, Matteo Giuliani, Rodney A. Stewart, Holger R. Maier, and Andrea Castelletti (PICO)
- Development of a demand- and network-based tool for automatic detection of post meter leakages, Riccardo Taormina, Andrea Cominola, Matteo Giuliani, Stefano Galelli, and Andrea Castelletti (PICO)
- What will the weather do? forecasting flood losses based on oscillation indices, Gabriela Guimarães Nobre, Matteo Giuliani, Hans de Moel, Konstantinos Bischiniotis, Jeroen Aerts, and Philip Ward (PICO)
- Optimal Infrastructure Sequencing and Management in the Zambezi River Basin, Jazmin Zatarain Salazar, Federica Bertoni, Matteo Giuliani, and Andrea Castelletti (POSTER)
- Integrated water-energy modelling: a scenario-based analysis to support energy system transition policies in the EU, Angelo Carlino, Patrizia Zamberletti, Francesca Recanati, Matteo Giuliani, Andrea Castelletti, Alessia De Vita, Maria Kannavou, and Alexandros Makrysopoulos (POSTER)
- Sensitivity Analysis of Data-driven Groundwater Forecast to Hydro-climatic Controls in Irrigated Croplands, Alessandro Amaranto, Dimitri Solomatine, Gerald Corzo, Francesca Pianosi, and Francisco Munoz-Arriola (POSTER)
- How does uncertainty affect cooperation strategies in transboundary water resources systems? A case study on the Zambezi River Basin, Sara Cazzaniga, Federica Bertoni, Matteo Giuliani, and Andrea Castelletti (POSTER)
- Integrated infrastructural and financial options to manage weather risk in a multipurpose regulated lake, Vanessa Tesini, Simona Denaro, Andrea Castelletti, and Gregory Characklis (POSTER)
- Improved energy-water modelling for hydropower capacity expansion planning under climate change: a case study in the Zambezi River Basin, Maria Giulia Pelosi, Luca Monaco, Angelo Carlino, Andrea Castelletti (POSTER)
- At what cost? Can forecasts allow us to protect to more severe flood events without sacrificing performance on other river basin objectives?, Julianne Quinn, Patrick Reed, Matteo Giuliani, Andrea Castelletti, Jared Oyler, and Robert Nicholas
- Policy brief: making climate services impactful on hydropower reservoir optimization, Maria-Helena Ramos, Andrea Castelletti, Manuel Pulido Velázquez, David Gustafsson, Matteo Giuliani, Hector Macian-Sorribes, Manon Cassagnole, Louise Crochemore, Ilias Pechlivanidis, and Guillaume Thirel (POSTER)
- Geospatial assessment of phenotype predictive analytics using machine learning techniques, Francisco Munoz-Arriola, Parisa Sarzaeim, Alessandro Amaranto, Diego Jarquin, and Denise Bradford (ORAL)
- Towards assimilation of qualitative flow observations in hydrological models, Dimitri Solomatine, Maurizio Mazzoleni, Alessandro Amaranto (POSTER)
Our paper recently published on Advances of Water Resoruces proposes a new approach to infer the typical operations of water reservoirs from historical observations, using data-driven behavioral modeling based on eigenbehavior analysis. We extend the original eigenbehavior analysis by Eagle and Pentland (2009) used also by Cominola et al. (2018) to characterize typical operating strategies across 172 water reservoirs in California. We show that the proposed method identifies four typical behavioral profiles, which are strongly linked to key features of the reservoirs. Moreover, we illustrate how the identified models can be used for discovering behavioral profiles, and associated reservoir characteristics, that are vulnerable to drought conditions. Read more HERE.
Giuliani, M. and J.D. Herman (2018), Modeling the behavior of water reservoir operators via eigenbehavior analysis, Advances in Water Resources, 122